"God, teach me lessons for living so I can stay the course. Give me insight so I can do what you tell me—my whole life one long, obedient response."
Psalm 119:33-34 (Message)

Saturday, December 15, 2012

I'm a Writer but I'm Not a Writer


I was not your overachiever in school, especially when it came to my english classes.  Books didn't interest me, and writing didn't interest me and combine the two for research papers -- yep really no interest there.  Now it wasn't that I did bad I just did not find English to be interesting or that important to me.

I remember that I had to learn sentence structure in high school and I learned just what I needed to get a good grade on my test and then forgot it because it was of no interest to me.  I get to college and in my tiny English class we have to do it again -- I did not find that funny.  But learned enough to do well on my test to then forget it.

I may not have been an overachiever in school but that didn't mean that I wasn't interested in learning.  As a family we value learning all the time.  Danny inspires me to continue to learn all the time.  And now there are books that interest me, and writing interests me, and I love to research and write now.

A big part of being interested in all of those things now is what I am reading and writing and researching.

A few summers ago some of my high school girls wanted to do a summer Bible study and they wanted to study women in the Bible.  I was excited about this time with the girls.  I don't remember if I did some research to see if there was something out there already done.  But I decided to I was going to write this study for the girls.  I didn't know how to do it but I just started and had a lot of fun doing researching and digging deeper into the Bible.  I started to write down notes and thoughts and was amazed at how easy things seemed to flow.

Now 3 years later those studies are being shared with others to learn about the women in the Bible and all that we can learn from them here on this website (Download Youth Ministry).
I am so humbled that I get the opportunity to share these with others.  And I share with you the story about me to say that I truly believe that my ability to write and research is by the grace of God.  I love to see God use me in a way that I am not skilled or strong in but do something great when I obey and let Him lead me.