"God, teach me lessons for living so I can stay the course. Give me insight so I can do what you tell me—my whole life one long, obedient response."
Psalm 119:33-34 (Message)

Friday, November 12, 2010

Friendship

I have learned that a friend can be someone of any age not just within a year or two of my age.

I have learned that a friendship is not stopped by distance.

I have learned that a friend can be found in my family.

I have learned that my best friend makes for a great husband!

I have learned that life can not be lived without friends.

But I have also learned there is so much more about friendship that I have to learn.

Friendship needs time, needs love, needs vulnerability, needs grace.  Friendship needs those hard conversations that no one else will have with you, but don't judge you for being you.  Friends let you have the hard conversations with them knowing you won't judge them but know that you love them and that is why you are talking with them.

I have had some friends come and go in different seasons of life and moving across the country.  I have also had some friends who have stayed through the different seasons and when time and space separate us we can pick up as if it was just yesterday since we talked.

One of the things I value most about these friends that I have is knowing that in my time of need they will pray for me.  In my tine of joy they will praise God with me.  And even when they do not know what is going on they are praying.

I thank God for those who He has brought into my life to being me closer to Him, who have prayed for me, encouraged me, challenged me, loved me, helped me, had fun with me, laughed with me.  I thank God for my friends.

As iron sharpens iron, 
so a friend sharpens a friend.
Proverbs 27:17